Sunday, December 21, 2008

Starting to Stockpile...

The end of December is a great time to start stockpiling items to help reduce your 2009 food bill. The typical rules of thumb apply. Don't buy more than you can properly store, don't buy more than you'll use before it expires (because if you through it out you won't save!) and make sure you'll use what you buy (unless its free!). A couple of examples of good deals I have gotten this week:

  • Kraft Cheese (shredded, blocks, crumbles and singles) are on sale this week 2/$4 at Homeland. Now Homeland regularly charges about $4 a bag for the shredded, so this is a good deal. Most of this cheese has a use-by date of March, 2009 so its an item I can stockpile and keep in the fridge for a few months (or even longer in the freezer). I also have a couple of coupons I have been using. I have (2) $1/2 kraft items. Doubled that gets me 2 bags of cheese for $2 or $1 each. I also have a coupon save $1 wyb 1 kraft cheese and 1 nabisco cracker. Wheat Thins and Triscuits are on sale 2/$4, so after coupon (doubled) I pay $2 for the cheese but get the crackers for free. They'll work great for snacks or with soup.
  • Grands Biscuits and Crescent Rolls. Both are on sale 3/$5 or $1.67 each. There are $1/1 printables out there for each, which gives you about $.30 overage per package after the coupon is doubled.
  • Progresso soup is $1.50 or $.40 after the $1.10 printable coupon. There is also a money back guarantee on these.
  • General Mills Cereal (select varieties) is 2/$5 and there is a $1/1 in the Jan/Feb All You magazine. I'm going to use it to get me a $.50 box of lucky charms. I still have about 3 boxes of free Rice Krispies, so I have plenty of cereal for next month.

I'm still keeping my eyes out for a good deal on manwich sauce. There is a rebate where you can get a $2 coupon for meat or buns wyb 3 cans. They let you do multiple rebates (3-4) so if I get a good deal on the sauce, I am looking at 6-8 meals for about $5.

No comments:

Post a Comment